Conditions in Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 662-281-1881
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale for mold remediation services.
Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 662-281-1881
Where Is Mold Hiding In Your Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Home?
Microbial growth from a hot water heater leak in an Oxford home.
Microbial growth needs heat, moisture and darkness to thrive so there are many places in your home where it can hide. It’s in these areas where significant damage can happen because it can go unseen for substantial amounts of time. Basements, bathrooms, under appliances and under your home are top places to be sure check regularly.
Finished and unfinished basements alike are susceptible to microbial growth. Make sure you have good ventilation as well as keep it dry. If your basement smells musty you may have growth that is being spread throughout your home through the air ducts.
Vapor barriers keep ground moisture from coming onto the joists of the home is crucial to keep microbial out. In addition to a vapor barrier, ventilation under your home can help flow out any moisture that may come under your home.
Just like under your home ventilation is key in your bathroom. Turning on your fan in your bathroom especially during hot showers can help alleviate steam from adding moisture onto your ceiling that could lead to microbial growth. Also watch for leaky toilets or sinks. These small leaks can lead to larger issues such as mold under your sink or behind your toilet.
Some refrigerators have drip pans where water can collect or water leaks from the line of your ice maker. Checking these lines and cleaning coils regularly can help these issues or catch them before they turn into something bigger. Also remember hot water heaters and washing machines also can leak as well as steam from dryer vent. It’s important to be aware of these areas and check and clean them on a regular basis.
If you suspect microbial growth in any of these areas around your home don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale at 662-281-1881. Our certified team is “Ready For Whatever Happens”.
What Do Your Business’ Carpets Say About You?
Carpet cleaning at an Oxford hotel
We’ve all walked into businesses that seem to have it all together. The paint looks fresh, the décor is perfectly placed, it even smells good. They seem to really have it all together and then you look down. Their carpet or accent rug shows all the signs of wear and tear. There are spots from who knows what that have stained the fibers. Now, this business that has done a lot of things right, you can only look at what’s wrong. Let SERVPRO help you put your business’ best foot forward with our carpet cleaning services. We have professional technicians trained in all carpet/rug types to ensure we can get them looking as good as new.
What SERVPRO Can Do For You
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care- We use the latest training and best equipment to remove entrapped soils deep within your carpet’s pile and backing
- Stain Removal and Stain Resistance Applications-We use IICRC standards for our carpet guides and our team will go over with you the best options for the level of soiling as well as the benefits of soil protection.
If your business’ carpets aren’t looking as good as they once did, give us a call today 662-281-1881. We would be glad to come and look at them as well as go over a plan to get them looking like new.
Water Damage Is More Likely Than Fire Damage
Drying equipment placed in a condo that suffered a water loss.
While you should be prepared for any type of damage in your home, recent research into claims made with Travelers Insurance suggests that water damage can be as much as 10 times more likely than fire.
Around 3 percent of those water claims were from weather related incidents, meaning that the others could be avoided with proper maintenance.
Here are the top four common causes of non-weather related water damage:
- Leaks from washing machine hoses: These should be inspected every year and replaced every five years or when signs of cracking or bulging appear
- Leaks around water heaters: These should be inspected annually and if possible install your water heater in an area with floor drains to minimize damage in the case of leaks
- Leaks from refrigerator ice machines: Inspect these connections every year and replace any hoses that are cracked or corroded
- Clogged drains line on air conditioning units: Check these drain lines once a year
These steps will greatly reduce your chances of water damage, it is always a possibility. In the case of water damage in your home, call SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale at 662-281-1881 so we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Cleaning Services For Your Oxford Business
When your Oxford, Batesville, Clarksdale business needs cleaning timing is important. You want it done right and done fast. When you hire SERVPRO for cleaning you get restoration services created with you in mind.
What SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Can Do For You And Your Business?
- Fire, Smoke, and Soot Cleanup Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Application
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
- Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods
No matter what situation your business may face, our team is committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce interruptions to your business and reduce recovery costs.
Fire Damage At Your Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale Business
Call SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale for all your fire restoration needs-662-281-1881
Fire and soot damage in your Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale commercial properties often are complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether it’s a small contained fire or a large impact fire we are always ready.
About SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale
SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial property after a fire damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Here are some other stats from the NFPA:
Time of Day
- Peak time of day for office fires: Noon – 2p.m. (a.k.a. lunch time!)
- 69% happened between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- The 31% that occurred between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. caused 67% of recorded property damage, because they went undetected longer. This also highlights the need for automatic detection equipment and working sprinkler systems.
- 19% of fires happened on weekends.
Cause of the Business Fires
- 29% were caused by cooking equipment. However, just 6% of these fires caused actual property damage.
- Intentionally-set fires caused the most direct property damage – 21%.
- Electrical equipment is the second leading cause of office fires.
- Just 2% of office fires start in a concealed space like an attic, in the ceiling, or in another conceals space. However, these fires accounted for 13% of the direct property damage.
Containment & Putting it Out
- 4 out of 5 fires were confined to the room of origin.
- 90% of fires were large enough to activate sprinklers, which were effective 88% of the time.
- Deaths per 1,000 stores were 62% lower in offices equipped with sprinklers compared to those without.
Staticically speaking, as many as one in four businesses that suffer some kind of major disaster do not reopen afterward. Although these odds can be hard to overcome, working with the right restoration company and team on your side will improve your chances.
How To Keep Mold Away From Your Pumpkins
Our SERVPRO pumpkin
Fall brings cooler weather and with it many traditions. One of which is pumpkin carving. Whether you are making a work of art, just having fun, or both you don’t want all your hard work to go to waste.
Here are some tips to keep your pumpkin around through the end of October.
- After your pumpkin has been carved, rinse it out with water to get rid of excess strings and gunk.
- Take a large bucket or tub and fill it with one gallon of water.
- Stir three teaspoons of an anti-microbial such as concrobium into the water.
- Dunk in the pumpkin. Be sure to hold it down as it will try to float. The entire pumpkin should sit in the solution for two minutes. You might want to wear gloves, too. Remove from the solution and let the pumpkin air dry.
Saving Your Carpets After Water Damage
Office in Batesville, MS where there was standing water on the carpet from a water loss next door.
When your home or property takes on water, one of the first questions you ask is what can be saved. In regards to the carpet and the carpet pad, the answer varies on the situation. The age and quality of the carpet as well as how it was installed are factors to be considered. These factors as well as the type of water that caused the damage play a key role in the restoration process.
Previously we discussed the three categories of water and how they determine how we restore. Category 1 is still considered clean water so the carpet and pad can usually be dried and restored in place. Category 2 water is considered dirty so the pad is replaced in most cases but the carpet can usually be restored if it has been wet less than 48 hours. Category 3 water which is often referred to as black water that comes into contact with carpet results in it being removed and discarded. The reason for this is that Category 3 water can contain dangerous contaminants that are unhealthy for you to be in contact with it.
Every water loss situation is different so that’s why it is important to contact a SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale to assess the situation. We are a professional restoration company with certified water specialist that will be able to inspect your situation. It is important to report the damage as soon as possible to limit the effects and lower the cost.
How To Prevent Workplace Fires
We all know who to call if there is a fire (your local fire department) but there are also things we can do to help prevent them as well. Most people have emergency plans for the homes but often forget about their workplace.
Here are some tips to help a fire from happening in your office:
- Don’t overload your outlets
- Turn off electrical appliances at the end of each work day
- Check electrical cords for damage and replace as needed. Also don’t put cords in areas where they might become trip hazards or stepped on.
- Keep heat producing equipment (computers, coffee makers, etc) away from anything that might burn
These tips are helpful in prevention of fires. You may also want to have a fire safety meeting as well as appoint someone to be in charge of checking this list periodically and making sure the office is in compliance. If a fire does occur SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is here ready to help.