Fire Hazards In Your Bathroom
Fire damage in a bathroom at a Batesville, MS home.
Household fires can be devastating. They can destroy your home and memories in minutes. Many fire hazards exist in your home and should be regularly inspected as well as maintained to prevent these hazards from turning into an actual fire. One of these places is the exhaust fan/vent in your bathroom. Exhaust fans are used to help prevent steam on mirrors, damp walls and fogged windows as well as removing odors. If not cleaned properly, overtime they build up lint which can cause the motor to overheat and ignite the lint. Here are some ways you can prevent this:
- Make sure you follow your manufacturers recommendations for cleaning and add the exhaust fans to your regular cleaning schedule.
- When you clean make sure you also take the fan cover off and remove lint from around the motor, even washing it in warm soapy water.
- If your fan shows any signs of heat damage, make sure you replace immediately.
- These bathroom fans should only be used for brief periods of time such as during a shower. Make it a habit to turn them off when their job is done.
SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is here to help. If you suffer from any time of fire or smoke damage in your home or business, please call our professional team at 662-281-1881 to help.
Top Tips For Tornadoes
Tornadoes are something we’ve become more accustomed to in North Mississippi. They can be violent storms that can demolish even the best made structures. Tornadoes can uproot trees and throw other objects around. Here are three top tips to keep in mind about tornadoes from the American Red Cross:
- Identify a safe space in your home where your family and pets can gather. It should be the lowest floor, most interior room, with no windows.
- If you find yourself in a high rise building just find a hallway that is in the center in case, you do not have time to get to the lowest floor.
- If in a mobile home, find a safe place close by, no mobile home is safe in a tornado.
One last think to keep in mind is to know the difference between a Tornado Warning and Tornado Watch. A Tornado Watch means the conditions are probable for activity whereas a Tornado Warning means one is near or could occur soon so find a safe space immediately.
Lowering Your Electric Bills Could Cause Mold
If you suspect microbial growth, SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is trained and ready to help remediate that issue. Give us a call at 662-281
In the south, especially in the summer months our AC seems to never stop working. Many homeowners try to combat the higher electricity bills by cutting off their AC when they aren’t home or using it. This can cause other issues one of which is mold because an enclosed dark and damp environment is a perfect situation for mold spores to grow.
In these warmer months, a closed house with the air-conditioning turned off will have higher humidity levels than an air-conditioned home. These side effects are even more pronounced when the home is vacant because a vacant home receives little to no sunlight through closed shades and no air movement with the fan off and doors staying closed.
To reduce these potential for mold in your home keep your air-conditioning unit set around 75 degrees with the fan on. This will keep an air flow in your home as well as keep humidity levels down.
If you suspect microbial growth, SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is trained and ready to help remediate that issue. Give us a call at 662-281-1881.
Regular Cleaning of Your Dryer Vent Reduces Your Chances of a Fire
Do you know what's inside your dryer vent?
You usually think about your washer and dryer cleaning clothing and soft goods for you, but how often do you clean them? Keeping your dryer vent clean not only helps you dry your clothes faster it also lowers the chances of it malfunctioning. There are almost 3,000 dryer related fires reported each year, proper maintenance such as having the vent cleaned can reduce this. Here are some benefits of having your dryer vent cleaned:
- Reduces the potential of a dryer fire and keeps your dryer from overheating
- Can lower your power bill
- Lengthen the life of your dryer and keep repairs to a minimal
- Clothes will dry faster and less lent
It is suggested that this be a yearly maintenance especially if your vent line is longer than 10 feet. Our team of professionals at SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is trained and ready to help keep your home safe and help it run more efficiently.
2018 Hurricane Season
Subtropical storm Alberto hit land on May 28, 2018.
Hurricane season is described as a continuous event in the formation of tropical cyclones in the Northern Hemisphere. The season officially began on June 1, 2018 and will end on November 30, 2018. This is the period of time they are most likely however, it is possible at any time of the year.
This seasons forecast is to be a average for 2018 with a total of 11 named storms, 4 hurricanes and only 1 major hurricane. These numbers are because of the continued cooling in the Atlantic and an increasing chance of El Nino forming later in the year.
Here’s some tips from FEMA on how to prepare for future hurricanes:
- Know what you should do before, during and after a hurricane
- Create an emergency communication plan with your family
- Know your local community’s evacuation plans
- Check your insurance coverage
- Have emergency supplies at home
- Download the FEMA mobile app
These 3 Signs Could Mean Mold In Your Home or Business
Signs of microbial growth found in an Oxford, MS apartment.
There’s a four-letter word every homeowner and/or business owner hates to hear—mold. Not only is it something that most people are terrified of, it also can cause damage but also be a health hazard. Keep in mind not all everything that appears to be mold, is in fact actually mold. Here are three warning signs of microbial growth that you should pay attention to:
- Water spots are a potential sign of microbial growth. These can be found in numerous places in your home or business. Pay attention to around your air vents, behind sinks, ceilings and walls. If you find a place that has suspected moisture make sure you act quickly. Using someone with proper training such as SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is always a good option.
- Discoloration is another sign. If there is a spot that is an off color from the rest of the wall or ceiling or floor that is possibly yellow/green/black that is sign of microbial growth.
- Smell is the third sign. Microbial growth can cause a bad smell and depending on the type of microbial growth and how far it’s reached the smell can be strong or faint. Any odd smell in your home or business should be properly investigated.
Even though microbial growth is the last thing a home or business owner wants to hear, it should not be ignored. If you suspect any of these warning signs call 662-281-1881 and SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale can help. Not only do we have trained staff we also have the proper equipment and products to use in mold remediation.
Are The Carpets In Your Hotel Clean?
Stained carpet from where rain water entered into the hotel room from the french doors.
Does your hotel look as good in person as it does on your website? Although the lobby and downstairs is the first thing guests see, they want to be just as pleased with the conditions of their room. One of the things that shows the first signs of wear, is the carpet.
Your hotel most likely has a housekeeping team that’s primary job is to keep the hotel looking as good as new. Normal day to day maintenance is easy for them to handle, but what about those tough stains or areas such as in front of the elevator that are high traffic?
In cases where you have these hard to clean carpets, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale. Not only is our staff trained on cleaning all types of carpets, we also have the solutions and products to help clean those hard to clean areas. Call us today at 662-281-1881 to have your carpets inspected so you can proudly welcome guests into your hotel.
2018 LOU 4th of July Celebration
The Chamber of Commerce continues to unite a team of volunteers to partner with the City of Oxford, Lafayette County, and the University of Mississippi for the Annual LOU 4th of July Community Celebration. This year’s committee was spearheaded by committee chair Meredith Rawl, from local agency Family Crisis Services of Northwest Mississippi, Inc. Family Crisis is a victim service organization providing intervention services to individuals, as well as family support services and prevention education.
The LOU 4th of July committee’s intention is to create a full day of events for the citizen’s of our area to come together and celebrate our community, our military, our veterans and America’s hard-won freedoms.
4th of July Committee
Wayne Andrews, Jimmy Algood, Denny Buchannon, Mary Margaret Chaffe, Thelma Curry, Don Douglas, Lea Anne & Kevin Griffin, Dennis Irwin, Libby Lyle, Anna Claire McBride, Jeff McCutchen, Ethan Peterson, Pam Swain, and Jessica Windham. Would you like to get involved? We are looking for VOLUNTEERS!
2018 Schedule of Events
Thursday, June 28th
- 7-11 p.m. 6th Annual Firecracker Bash, presented by Leap Frog
- Venue: The Lyric
- The Soul Shockers from Memphis!
- Mr. and Mrs. America Crowning!
- Performance by Leap Frog Students!!!
- Bottom-less Beer Cups, provided by Yalobusha Brewery
- Silent Auction
- Casual Dress
- Ticket prices: $25, all proceeds benefit Leap Frog
- Tickets may be purchased at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church or at the door
Wednesday, July 4th (THE BIG DAY)
- 7:30 a.m.: “Stars & Stripes on the Square” 5K Classic to benefit the Oxford Lafayette Humane Society Join our facebook page!
- 8:30 a.m.: Fun Run
- 9:30 a.m.: LOU 4th of July Children’s Parade on the Square, lineup begins at 9 a.m. by Something Southern. Parade registration 2018
- 4 p.m.- Nightfall: Activities in the Grove at Ole Miss
- Activities include: Live Music and Food Vendors Vendor Application 2018
- Children’s Area, featuring: Petting Zoo, Train Rides, Bounce Houses, Face Painting, Balloon Art
- 4-5 p.m. – LOU Community Band
- 5:30 p.m. – Independence Day Pageant Lil’ Mr & Miss Firecracker Contest 2018 Entry Form
- 6 p.m.: Independence Day Ceremony in the Grove, a moment to reflect on the occasion and honor our local service men and women. Parade awards announced.
- 6:15 -8:15 p.m.: Music in the Grove
- 7:30 p.m.: Gates open to the Oxford University Stadium (Swayze Field) for a $2 donation, proceeds going to the 2019 4th of July Celebration. No coolers. Refreshments will be available for purchase. Local films will be shown on the stadium screen prior to fireworks.
- 9 p.m. (Nightfall): Fireworks Presentation over Oxford-University Stadium-Swayze Field. Fireworks sponsored by Olin-Winchester. The show will be 20 minutes. Please take care to note the perimeter is marked for safety.
The LOU 4th of July Committee is presented by the Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce. For more information visit: https://oxfordms.com/live-in-oxford/lou-4th-of-july/
Heavy Rainfall Can Flood Your Oxford, MS Business
Office in Oxford, MS that received flood damage.
Residents in Oxford, MS don’t usually worry about flooding, but that changed the first week of June 2018. Oxford received five inches of rain in an hour span and left many businesses wondering what to do about the water that made its way inside. Floods rank as one of the most common widespread natural disasters in the United States. Here’s what you can do to minimize flood damage at your business until professional help arrives:
- Document the damage
- Contact Insurance if you think you have flood coverage
- Move anything you can off the wet flooring
- Check for any electrical hazards
Flood damage to your business should be promptly mitigated, lingering moisture from floodwater may cause secondary issues. SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale can properly remediate to reduce these issues. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to the structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often overwhelming. SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is prepared to handle and size disaster.
Call SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale at 662-281-1881 if you are a flood damage victim.
No Fire Doesn't Mean No Damage
Soot damage on a ceiling.
Just because you didn’t experience the flames of a fire doesn’t mean you didn’t experience damage. Smoke and soot damage can be far reaching and sometimes seem impossible to clean. If your home or office has experienced smoke or soot damage, there are some things to keep in mind to prevent further damage.
- Don’t try to wipe or wash any absorbent surfaces like walls or ceilings—soot needs special attention to remediated
- Don’t use any upholstered furniture
- Don’t wash or dry any affected clothing or tapestry, this may set in the smoke odor
- Don’t walk on carpet or flooring that has soot unless you lay something on top of it, this will minimize the soot from being ground in the flooring as well as being transferred to other areas.
Smoke and soot damage requires such careful treatment, and you don’t want to make things worse, so call the professionals at SERVPRO of Oxford / Batesville / Clarksdale to help. We are certified in the correct treatment and remediation of soot damage. Our team is ready and willing to help, so if you suffer smoke and/or soot damage call us at 662-281-1881.