Lowering Your Electric Bills Could Cause Mold
In the south, especially in the summer months our AC seems to never stop working. Many homeowners try to combat the higher electricity bills by cutting off their AC when they aren’t home or using it. This can cause other issues one of which is mold because an enclosed dark and damp environment is a perfect situation for mold spores to grow.
In these warmer months, a closed house with the air-conditioning turned off will have higher humidity levels than an air-conditioned home. These side effects are even more pronounced when the home is vacant because a vacant home receives little to no sunlight through closed shades and no air movement with the fan off and doors staying closed.
To reduce these potential for mold in your home keep your air-conditioning unit set around 75 degrees with the fan on. This will keep an air flow in your home as well as keep humidity levels down.
If you suspect microbial growth, SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale is trained and ready to help remediate that issue. Give us a call at 662-281-1881.