If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (662) 281-1881

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Faulty Wiring Fires in Water Valley, MS

3/28/2022 (Permalink)

Melted plastic surrounds a wall outlet Watch for signs of an impending electrical fire.

An electrical fire in the home is often unpredictable, which makes it one of the more dangerous kinds of house fires. Fires caused by faulty wiring often happen in the middle of the night, which can quickly lead to a tragic situation if the home doesn't have functional smoke alarms. Electrical fires represent 10% of home fires, but sadly, are responsible for 19% of home fire deaths. While faulty wiring inside the home needs to be repaired by a professional, other types of electrical fires occur in the home as well. These can be prevented with a little maintenance and by keeping some tips top-of-mind while using the electrical items.

Extension cords can be useful but think of them as a temporary solution to a problem. Before using an electrical cord, check for any damage, and if there is any, don't use it!   Also, remember to never overload an extension cord because you could quite literally be playing with fire.  

It's also a good idea to only plug in appliances that generate heat when you need to use them. This includes household items like toasters, irons, hairdryers, curling irons, and hair straighteners. Should one of these devices malfunction and heat up unexpectedly, it could cause a fire.  

Sometimes, trouble lets you know that it's on the way. 

Don't ignore it. Should you see burn marks around a light, this could become an issue. Have you noticed a cord that feels hot to the touch when it wasn't like that before? 

Stop using it. Has a device started sparking when you plug it into the outlet? Take it as the huge sign that it is that something is wrong and the item should either be repaired or tossed. If the problem is at the outlet, consult an electrician.

Keeping fire safety at the top of mind when you use the electrical appliances in your home goes a long way to keep a fire from happening. 

Though should the unexpected happen and you experience a fire loss in your home, we're always here to help. 

Give the professionals at SERVPRO of Oxford/Batesville/Clarksdale a call at 662-281-1881. 

Available 24/7, we're always here to help. We'll make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts